CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Calling All Potty Trainers!

How exactly am I supposed to do this? We've got the potty. We've got the underwear. Now what? Anybody want to direct me to some really good info on how to actually potty train? I guess I should stop being lazy about figuring this whole thing out but right now Eryn seems too scared to actually go in the potty. I've finally gotten her to sit on the thing without crying (she's kind of a scaredy cat about everything.) I've taken it as a sign that she's just not ready yet. That may be the case but I really just don't know what I'm doing.

Any advice? Direction? Videos? Books? I'll take any suggestions.

5 comments:

Testing said...

here's a free video you can order: http://www.pull-ups.com/na/potty_training_dvd.aspx

Hardest part is to just commit- we do underwear during the day and diapers at naps and bedtime. We'll work on that part later.

Our first day we stay home and have a timer go off every 30 minutes to give it a "try", if they go- get excited and clap for them. I also give 2 M&Ms. The next day we still do the timer and M&Ms. By the third day, I explain that they can have M&Ms everytime they do something, but they can try as many times as they want, just keep reminding throughout the day.

The timer helps cause they can help set it and understand what it means when it goes off. And then you're not the big bossy mommy always making her go- the timer is the boss. Good Luck! Linds
lcnpierce.wordpress.com

Mickell Gehret said...

Well, I thought I'd come on here and give you some great advice then I read Lindseys comment and well...she is awesome! Do what she said!! Good Luck!

Molly Malia said...

complete motivation... jordans thing was stickers to put on the potty.

Smiths said...

Good luck. Remember it's a process- sometimes a long process which will be different for every kid. I really liked the book "Potty Wise". Lindsey got it right. We did a big party the morning we started with a doll that was going to learn to use the potty, throw away his diapers and get rewards (treats). I guess you're really supposed to make it an exciting and special event so t he kid wants to do it, and really emphasize how great it is that your kid is staying dry. Don't get too sad that they have accidents, believe it or not, they didn't do it to ruin your day. If you survive this, you're amazing and it will bring you closer to your child.

JulieAbundo said...

Thanks for all the advice. I think my big thing is the commitment (I'm more of the problem, Eryn will probably do great.) I like to m&m advice and I'm going to the library to pick up some story books/videos about potty training. Then I'll just have to commit, no turning back! BTW, Lindsey, it's nice to "see" you.